15 August 2004

This is what being a Corpsman is all about

I wasn't going to post until my weekend of work was over, but I just have to post these happenings that happened at work last night.

I'm walking on Cloud Nine right now.

I had two particular instances last night when my heart just wanted to erupt with joy. I had an admit come in last night around two in the morning with CHF Exaserbation. She has a history of PTSD(Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) from being in a concentration camp in WWII. All this aside she is a complete sweetheart. Me being my compassionate self, bend over backwards for all my patients. Anyways somehow we got on the subject of transferring while I was drawing her blood. She says to me, "You're going to Hawaii, huh? You lucky dog. You'll probably meet yourself a girlfriend there. You will! Your not a bad looking guy. If I was about 16 or 17 I would definitely go for you." Needless to say I was quite taken aback by her remarks. It just confirms my suspicions that I'm a sexy bitch.

I was also taking care of a Ret. Marine Corps Maj. with HIV. He's been through everything health wise and is about ready to give up. All the estimates that we've gotten from the doctors have given him less than 6 months to live. I feel for the guy. Again I give my usual compassionate caring care to this gentlemen. Towards the end of the shift I was emptying his garbage and he says to me, "Doc(hearing the term "Doc" from a marine sends me into shivers of pure ecstacy), I just wanted to thank you for doing the best damn job I have seen. For making me feel comfortable and cared for." I walked over to him and put my hand on my shoulder, trying not to tear up in front of him and replied, "Major, thats my job. To keep people on this earth as long as their stay here entails." He looked at me, smiled and nodded, tears welling in his eyes. This is what being a Doc is all about.

Thats all. Navy Doc out...